The York Football club celebrated their first premiership since 2006 with reserve grade grand final success a couple of weeks ago.

After finishing third on the ladder a young Roos side firstly tackled Federals in the first semi final held in Quairading. It was fast paced match with both sides having several young talented footballers in their line up, after a good start the York team got out to a four goal lead and although challenged by the opposition managed to maintain that lead and run out winners.

The preliminary final was held in Northam and this time the opponents were the top of the table Cunderdin Magpies. Having only lost one game for the season the Magpies were hot favourites in the match, and they got the jump on the Roos kicking the first four goals. In the second term the York side started to find their feet and through their very spirited defensive unit managed to stem the flow of goals to the Cunderdin team.

The second half is where the York boys made their move and put a few goals on the scoreboard going into the last quarter a couple of points down. In a tense battle the Roos clawed ahead by eight points late in the game and withstood several Cunderdin attacks to hold on to their lead and book a spot in the grand final.

The grand final was held in Beverley and the Quairading football club stood between York and a premiership flag. York’s captain Matt Jones won the toss and kicked into the breeze, and the pressure was on early as York battled hard in defence and also managed to sneak a couple of goals putting them in a very good position.

The second quarter belonged to York as they used the breeze to good advantage kicking three goals and getting their nose in front on the scoreboard going to the halftime break with a nine point advantage.

The third quarter was a very even affair with both teams going goal for goal, this was a great result for York as Quairading had the advantage of the breeze. A large band of York supporters started to find their voice and could sense a growing confidence in their young side and that if they took that enthusiasm into the last term they would be very hard to stop.

This proved to be the case as the younger legs and superior fitness of the York side lead to a big final quarter kicking five goals to one and running out winners by 36 points.

Coach Greg Humphrey was a very happy man after the game and paid tribute to the efforts of the whole side over the three finals, and he very proudly held the premiership cup and flag aloft to a huge roar from the York supporters.

Marshall Jones was awarded the Ian McNeil medal for the best player in the grand final, not a bad effort from a 15 year old. Other good players were Phil Chapman, Justin Smith, Darren Chitty, Tyson Picket and Shane Livingstone. The only sour note was an injury to Tim Springbett who had a very sore and swollen head after severe contact with the Burley.

We have also had our yearly awards evening last week with some of the major award winners:
League Fairest & Best – Tom Atkinson
League Runner Up – Lloyd Reidy
Reserves Fairest & Best – Matthew Jones
Reserves Runner Up – Marshall Jones
Borrett Memorial most courageous player League – Ross Emin
Reserves – Rick Emin
Hooper Memorial most promising young player – Matthew Reynolds
The Roo of the year best clubman award – Greg Humphrey

The evening was held at the York Recreation & Convention Centre a buffet dinner was served and around 110 guests were in attendance.
At the conclusion of the awards presentations the York Roos 100’s club raffle was drawn and it was Dave Baron from The Farm Shop smiling all the way to the bank picking up the $7000.00 first prize.

The York Football Club would like to thank all Sponsors and Supporters for the 2013 season and we look forward to a successful season next year.

Story: Mark Palumbo